With so many benefits, it’s a small wonder that more people haven’t already heard of Hot Stone Massage.
It’s normally combined with another massage technique such as Thai or Swedish, and has also been used for centuries in traditional Native American, Japanese and Hawaiian therapies.
And basically it’s all so simple. Warmed up volcanic rocks, and sometimes marble, are placed on the various chakras of your body. They are then massaged (sometimes with oil) into your body. What with the deep penetrating heat and the weight of the stones, and the skills of the therapists, tight muscles just melt away along with stress and even pain. The heat allows trigger points to dissolve and fade with minimal resistance.
Here are some of the astonishing benefits of the hot stone massage: .
- Increases blood circulation, lymph and vitality.
- Promotes the release of toxins.
- When used with castor oil, it reduces cellulite dramatically.
- Irons out tight muscles, softening the tissue with heat.
- Balances the chakras when the stones are spun correctly.
- Sedates the central nervous system when the stones are laid upon the spinal column.
- Relieves sinus pressure.
- Reduces puffy eyes.
- Firms the skin on the face by alternating hot and cold stones, stimulating vascular gymnastics.
- Grounds the body by reducing the wind (vata) element within the body.
- Improves the tone of visceral organs.
- Aids in elimination by when hot and cold stones are alternated stimulating peristalsis.
- Increases kinesthetic awareness of the body by alternating textured and smooth stones.
- Gently exfoliates the skin, enhancing liver function.
- Incorporates sound and vibration, i.e., clicking, tapping.
- Reduces inflammatory conditions with the use of cool stones.
- And, finally, it apparently, “Renews the sweetness of life”!
- (N.B. Hot Stone Massages are NOT recommended for pregnant women, people with heart disease or high blood pressure, or people with extreme varicose veins.)
(N.B. Hot Stone Massages are NOT recommended for pregnant women, people with heart disease or high blood pressure, or people with extreme varicose veins.)